The goals of the Flyways project are to:
- Raise awareness about, and appreciation for, birds and their migration, in people along the Great Rift Valley flyway
- Support inclusion of birds and bird migration, and associated environmental and climate change issues, in conservation planning in countries along the Great Rift Valley
- Promote musical traditions, and individual artists, within their home countries and throughout the region and beyond; and support cultural diversity, and the creative expression of local groups and individuals, as part of efforts to celebrate landscapes, animals, and the natural environment
- Provide an opportunity for urban-based individuals, many of whom impact the environment through influence on government planning and through resource consumption, to better appreciate their environmental and musical heritage
- Offer the perspective of a bird’s eye view transcending artificial human boundaries and human conflict to present a new context for conservation efforts and promote cooperation across the region to protect migration routes
- Use music and culture to promote dialogue within and between communities, in order to bring people together to address shared environmental problems
Flyways is a project of Music for the Earth, produced in collaboration with a range of partners. Music for the Earth is a non-profit organization with the mission to explore and implement ways that music can be used to enrich the lives of human beings and awaken a spirit of involvement in the preservation of wildlife, wilderness and the natural environments of the Earth.